The original Blantyre Water Board was established in January 1929 after the construction of Hynde Dam Scheme. It provided the first piped water to residents of Blantyre Town in 1930. Following the completion of Mudi Dam in 1953, the Board was given an additional responsibility of supplying water to Limbe and was reconstituted in 1954 as the Mudi River Water Board mandated to supply water to the combined town of Blantyre/Limbe. On 1st April 1970, the Board's name changed again to Blantyre Water Board.
Demand for water increased rapidly after the commissioning of Mudi Scheme in 1953. This necessitated the construction of Walker's Ferry Pumping Station on the banks of Shire River to supply water to the town of Blantyre and Walker's Ferry works were commissioned in 1963.
The town of Blantyre/Limbe became the City of Blantyre in 1966 and subsequently on 1st January 1972, the Board's water area was extended from the former Municipal Boundary to the new City Boundary, an area of 39,000 ha. Currently the Board, in addition to service the City of Blantyre, supplies parts of Thyolo and Chiradzulu districts making 76,000 ha the total area of coverage.
The Board continues to collaborate with water resources management institutions such as the Southern Africa Development Corporation - Global Water Partnership (SADC-GWP), the Abidjan- based Water Utility Partnership (WUP), the International Water Association (IWA) and Water Operators Partnerships for Africa based in Nairobi.